the whole gang

the whole gang

Sunday, July 4, 2010

a weekend of celebration

I am truly humbled by what this day really means.  By signing the Declaration of Independence, our forefathers were essentially signing their own death warrants.  They were guilty of high treason, according to British law, which was punishable by an excruciatingly painful death and humiliation that extended on to their heirs.  Fortunately for us, the revolutionaries fought and won the right to the freedoms that have been afforded to each of us.  I love history.

Today, we celebrate Independence Day with backyard barbeques, family gatherings, sporting events, and fireworks displays.  Our family is no different.  We have had a weekend of fun, thanks to this amazing holiday!  Our neighborhood does it up right each year with a family parade, games for kids, lawnmower racing, and a spectacular (thanks Fancy Nancy!) fireworks display that rivals the UCO-Edmond display!  If you live in my hood or were here as a guest...you know its true!  It's a non-stop fireworks show for several hours out here!  I love how the neighborhood comes together for this big event!

While I was preparing for company this afternoon, I thought about what the first Independence Day must have been like.  Scary stuff...facing death for standing up for what you think is right.  I wondered how it came to be that we celebrate in the manner we do.  I found a letter John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail, about the holiday just two days before the signing of the Declaration of Independence...

"[Independence Day] will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America.  I am apt to believe it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival.  It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

Wow.  We were always supposed to celebrate this way!  Cool.

So grateful for the country we live in...even with all its flaws, it is blessedThank you, God, for freedom!

1 comment:

natesmom said...

That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing that!!