the whole gang

the whole gang

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 3 - I was called

Today is the third day I have been fighting my dependency.  I refuse to call it an addiction...that's just me in denial. I wish I could say that I haven't been tempted.  I would SO be lying.  I woke up yesterday morning, and almost immediately thought of how I was going to have a soda, Coke, in particular.  I'm sure my mouth must have started watering.  I shook it off and got myself out of bed and dressed, during which I forgot about my craving.  Later in the day, however, when the girls were all asleep, I was really having trouble.  Just as I had committed to doing, I turned my thoughts to prayer.  I didn't expect that I would have a focus right away, but I did.  MY ENEMIES.  Yep, you read that right.  My deprivation led me to pray for my enemies.  At first, I was kind of mad.  Really?  I have to waste my precious prayer time on people who do not give a rip about me?  Really, God?  REALLY?  Not world peace or a cure for cancer or heck, even for the rainy weather to move on out?  When the only response I was getting was "Yes, really!", I reluctantly moved on.  I should start by saying that there is not one person on this earth I would consider my enemy.  There are, however, opposing forces in my life, who have been made so only by their own choice.  I focused my prayer on people with whom I have recently had conflict.  I prayed for God to set my own heart right if it wasn't already, and I prayed for God to provide a sweet interruption into the lives of these lost people.  I thought some more about what I had been led to do...and I realized that I have actually prayed this prayer many times.  Mostly, I prayed out of desperation, when I was hurting.  Praying in the calm has such a different feel to it.  I am hoping that I come to embrace this more fully in the days, weeks, months, years to come.  I truly do love my "enemies", and my heart breaks for them.

Can I have a Coke now?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Great post!! Can't wait to hear what else your lack of Coke uncovers.