the whole gang

the whole gang

Monday, May 17, 2010

the new "adventure"

Okay, so it's not really that much of an adventure.  BUT...it is hopefully a new chapter in my life.  I reflect regularly on Proverbs 31.  Most Christian women do, so this in itself is really nothing special.  What I have begun to do is to make it a prayer for myself.  I know that I will never be perfect, even though I am created in God's image.  But it's that last part of the previous sentence that gets me...created in God's image.  I have a pretty difficult time grasping that most days.  Who am I that I deserve that?  I am but a lowly sinner.  My image, both physical and spiritual is nothing too amazing most days.  Still, the Word says that I am His creation, created to be like Him.  So, along with studying Proverbs 31, I have made myself memorize the following two passages:

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?  If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.  1 Corinthians 3:16-17

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore, honor God with your body.  1 Corinthians 6:19-20

So far I have gathered that I am created to be like Him, that I am a temple, and that I do not belong to myself.  Hmmm...so why then, do I treat my body as if it is mine?

All that said, I am taking a small step...but in the right direction.  Today is day one of no more soda.  Carbonated drinks have kept me in bondage for years now.  I have tried to give them up, but have always failed.  I'm not exactly sure why I continue to fail, but I know now that I am capable of sticking with something that is good for me.  Running.  My prayer is that this sacrifice (which shouldn't even BE a sacrifice) causes me to draw nearer to Him and that it leads to even greater sacrifices made in His name.  I recently heard a friend say she doesn't want to look back on her life and have regrets.  Of course, she was using it in an entirely different context, but I agree.  I don't want to look back on my life when it is all said and done and wish that I had taken better care of my body, that I had used my body as the temple God created to bring glory to His name.

So, my friends, I ask that you help me as I begin this journey.  I will never pretend that I can do any of this alone.  Please be in prayer with me.  Knowing you are doing so will give me strength to overcome temptation.  And, of course, I will continue to update you here on my progress.

1 comment:

Tandamaguire said...

I have began drinking soda again after almost 8 beautiful weeks without it. Why, why, why? I am going to jump in the boat with you and ban all soda from my body once again. Thanks for inspiring me with your words and scriptures!